MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Oct. 27, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Omnicell, Inc., (NASDAQ:OMCL), today announced that Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, located in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, has selected the Company's pharmacy, nursing and data analytics solutions to drive workflow efficiencies that improve patient care. Omnicell's Unity enterprise platform will support the academic medical center with automated medication management solutions driven by pharmacists and used by nurses and other clinicians caring for patients across the health system's three hospitals.
Installation will begin in 2015.
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center is ranked by U.S. News & World Reportas among the nation's best hospitals and is also named by Becker's Hospital Review as one of "100 Great Hospitals in America." Wake Forest Baptist is committed to providing high quality, safe patient care and pioneering innovative practices.
The evaluation process of the Unity platform involved multiple users across the Medical Center, including pharmacy, nursing, supply chain and IT. Wake Forest Baptist was pleased with the Company's ability to provide optimized workflow, improved efficiency as well as interface with the hospital's existing electronic health record system. These were important factors in the final decision. The pharmacist practitioners were enthused about the potential to collaborate with Omnicell to drive new clinical innovations while improving medication management processes and increasing the ability to provide direct patient care within Wake Forest Baptist's integrated delivery network.
Adam Orsborn, PharmD, MS, director of pharmacy at Wake Forest Baptist Health, spoke about why Omnicell was selected among competing vendors: "One of the major factors that drove our decision to select Omnicell was the enterprise server. The Pharmacy Department provides critical solutions across our medical center, so the ability to have consistent process quality among all sites with Omnicell's Unity platform is invaluable for us." Orsborn shares, "We're excited to partner with Omnicell and build a relationship based on equal parts trust and fit. Omnicell's ongoing commitment to
developing new solutions is appealing to us, as we are equally dedicated to driving toward improved clinical outcomes."
The Omnicell solutions selected by Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center are all part of the Unity enterprise platform and include:
- OmniRx® automated medication dispensing cabinets (ADCs), including the integrated Medication Label Printer that allows nurses to print patient-specific labels right from the ADC during medication issue. The ADCs also include the Touch & Go™ advanced biometric ID system, designed with state-of-the-art biometric technology to improve efficiency and security.
- SinglePointe™ patient medication management software, which handles and secures up to 100 percent of a patient's medications within the automated dispensing cabinets to improve pharmacy and nursing workflow efficiency and reduce the chance for medication errors or missed doses.
- Anywhere RN™ remote medication management software, a unique web-based application that allows nurses to remotely access the Omnicell dispensing cabinets at their convenience from virtually any hospital workstation, to streamline workflow and minimize interruptions that can lead to medication administration errors.
- Anesthesia Workstation™, automated dispensing cabinets for the operating room that are designed to provide secure, convenient access to drugs required during surgery and easy documentation of controlled substance use.
- Medication Carousel, an automated pharmacy retrieval system that integrates with WorkflowRx™ software for comprehensive medication inventory management.
- WorkflowRx, a server-based pharmacy inventory management software program that integrates with the Medication Carousel and automates the ordering, receiving, stocking and picking processes.
- Pandora Analytics®, which provides business analytics for automated dispensing systems, focusing on diversion, compliance and inventory management.
"We look forward to collaborating with health care providers at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center as they implement our enterprise-level technology," said J. Christopher Drew, executive vice president, field operations at Omnicell. "We're excited to partner with a health system that shares our passion for developing innovative solutions that increase the level of care clinicians provide to their patients."
About Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center (www.wakehealth.edu) is a nationally recognized academic medical center in Winston-Salem, N.C., with an integrated enterprise including educational and research facilities, hospitals, clinics, diagnostic centers and other primary and specialty care facilities serving 24 counties in northwest North Carolina and southwest Virginia. Its divisions are Wake Forest Baptist Health, a regional clinical system with close to 175
locations, 900 physicians and 1,000 acute care beds; Wake Forest School of Medicine, an established leader in medical education and research; and Wake Forest Innovations, which promotes the commercialization of research discoveries and operates Wake Forest Innovation Quarter, an urban research and business park specializing in biotechnology, materials science and information technology. Wake Forest Baptist clinical, research and educational programs are annually ranked among the best in the country by U.S. News & World Report.
Since 1992, Omnicell (NASDAQ: OMCL) has been creating new efficiencies to improve patient care, anywhere it is delivered. Omnicell is a leading supplier of comprehensive automation and business analytics software for patient-centric medication and supply management across the entire health care continuum—from the acute care hospital setting to post-acute skilled nursing and long-term care facilities to the home.
More than 3,000 customers worldwide have utilized Omnicell Automation and Analytics solutions to increase operational efficiency, reduce errors, deliver actionable intelligence and improve patient safety. Omnicell Medication Adherence solutions, including its MTS Medication Technologies brand, provide innovative medication adherence packaging solutions to help reduce costly hospital readmissions. In addition, these solutions enable approximately 6,000 institutional and retail pharmacies worldwide to maintain high accuracy and quality standards in medication dispensing and administration while optimizing productivity and controlling costs.
OMCL - G
- All Omnicell news releases (financial, acquisitions, products, technology etc.) are issued exclusively by PR Newswire and are immediately thereafter posted on the company's external website, omnicell.com.
- Omnicell, the Omnicell logo design, OmniRx and Pandora are registered trademarks of Omnicell, Inc. Anywhere RN, Anesthesia Workstation and SinglePointe are trademarks of Omnicell, Inc.
- All other brand or product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120731/SF48971LOGO-a
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/wake-forest-baptist-medical-center-will-convert-to-omnicell-medication-automation-solutions-640295009.html
SOURCE Omnicell, Inc.